The South team practiced today and the offense looked much better. The quarterbacks and receivers were in sync. They looked solid in 7 on 7 along with 1 on 1 periods. Here are some notes from their practice:
- Jimmy Garoppolo (QB Eastern Illinois) had a good day of practice. I spoke to him after practice and he told me about how playing in the wind at Eastern Illinois helped prepare him for playing in the elements. He looked good in the 1 on 1 period and connected on deep passes to Mike Davis.
- Jaylen Watkins (CB Florida) appeared to have injured his ankle and was held out of 1 on 1 segments and the rest of practice. Prior to the injury, he was very impressive with his coverage on Jordan Matthews during his first two reps. Watkins is a guy that has helped his draft stock with his performance this week.
- Ryan Grant (WR Tulane) continued to shine at practice. He lined up in the slot and outside but did a great job of getting a free release at the line against some pretty good corners. He abused Lavelle Westbrooks on one play when he ran a slant. His move back to the inside caused Westbrooks to fall. Grant caught the ball with his hands consistently.
- Lorenzo Taliaferro (RB Coastal Carolina) is a big running back. He continued to do well in pass protection drills. Taliaferro also got some work in returning kicks.
- Crockett Gilmore (TE Colorado St) is a big guy that caught the ball extremely well. He has soft hands and made a very nice catch on a corner route from Derek Carr in 7 on 7. He was a late addition to the roster and fit right in.
- Jalen Saunders (WR Oklahoma) had another good day of practice. He is a smaller player but worked well out of the slot. He catches almost everything that is thrown his way and has a lot of wiggle after the catch.
- Adrian Hubbard (OLB Alabama) got the chance to work on pass rushing moves during a drill that put the running backs against the linebackers. He is a tall guy at 6’6″ but he liked to use the swim move to get by the running back. This move worked well for him and he looked right at home rushing the passer.
- Jordan Matthews (WR Vanderbilt) continued to work hard to perfect his craft. He caught the ball pretty well today but did have some trouble with Watkins in 1 on 1. He is a tough receiver that will help a team in need of a possession type guy.
- Mike Davis (WR Texas) used a nice head fake as he leaned to the corner and got back to the post in 7 on 7. He made a nice catch on that play. Davis also had a nice catch on a back shoulder throw from David Fales.
- Terrence Brooks (Safety FSU) looked the best of all of the safeties on the South squad. He did a good job of flipping his hips and locating the ball in back pedal drills. He undercut one of the throws and broke up a pass against one of the tight ends in a passing drill.
The South team clearly was coached by a more rah rah type of coach in Gus Bradley. Their practice had more emotion to it and that was fueled by the coaches. Keith McGill from Utah aggravated what appeared to be his calf during practice. I spoke to him and he said that he will work through it and that he is fine. Jay Prosch a fullback from Auburn got Telvin Smith on a double move in which Smith tried to guess the route and missed badly.